Brief History of Provincial Normal School, Provincial Normal College, Nova Scotia Normal College and Nova Scotia Teachers College
In 1857 a model school was opened to provide facilities for teaching practice. In 1878 the original Normal School building was replaced, and in 1900 a science building was added.
In 1909 the name of the Normal School was changed to the Provincial Normal College. In 1951 the name became the Nova Scotia Normal College, a designation that was retained until the 1961 move to the Arthur Street campus (now Truro Campus of the NSCC) when the institution was renamed the Nova Scotia Teachers College.
Throughout the years, the Provincial Normal School, and later the Nova Scotia Teachers College, broadened its training and improved the qualifications of its graduates. In 1932 Junior Matriculation (grade 11) became the minimum entrance requirement, and in 1961 the one-year program was superseded by a two-year program of teacher education beyond Nova Scotia grade 12.
A three year integrated program, originally established on an optional basis, was the basic program from 1972 to 1989. This program led to a diploma with the Academic title of Associate in Education of the Nova Scotia Teachers College.
In 1981 an agreement was reached with all Nova Scotia institutions offering pre-service teacher education, to offer a joint degree to students completing the A.Ed. (NSTC). The program consisted of five full courses, or thirty semester hours, at the institution of the student’s choice and led to the awarding of the B.Ed. degree jointly by the University and the Nova Scotia Teachers College.
In 1989 the Nova Scotia Teachers College became a degree-granting institution. In that year the College entered into an affiliation agreement with Mount Saint Vincent University to grant a Bachelor of Education degree, in the name of both institutions, to students who successfully completed the four-year NSTC program of studies. This became the basic teacher education program of the College.
In 1994 the College community and its many supporters in Nova Scotia and elsewhere was shocked by the provincial government’s decision to close the Nova Scotia Teachers College. A spirited defence of the College, undertaken by students, faculty, alumni and friends did not change the decision.
In 1997 the last graduating glass passed from the doors of the College.
See the Time Line for more detailed history.